Monday, March 22, 2010

a fresh look down memory lane ...

On Saturday, just because the promise of Spring exploded with 70+ degrees and sunshine, we drove to Newport to do the Cliff Walk. After parking at First Beach, I noticed these kids frolicking on the sand. It brought back so many memories of Sean, Cil, Pat and Becky playing on the beaches of Cape Cod.
It always started with running in the sand, then the shoes and sox were off. There was always a promise that "we're only going in to our knees." I always carried wet children home after they'd discovered that swimming was more fun than wading. We all knew how it would end; and it was part of the fun to see just how long they could hold out before the call of the water was just too much.
It's good to see that kids really haven't changed -- that there is nothing quite as much fun as a good run in the waves and flirting with getting completely soaked.
While we were in the Dominican, our friends in San Francisco de Marcoris taught us a song about swimming in the river of God. The verses say that I don't want to just get my knees wet, my shoulders wet; I want to swim in the river of God. We should be impatient with anything less than to be completely immersed in His love and His presence.
The apostle Paul wrote in Romans 8:14 - 16 "because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children."
I am mindful that as much pleasure as I took from watching my kids play on the beach and flirt with just how wet they could get, my heavenly Father takes so much more. He is watching to see just how deep we will get in the river of God's love. I know He smiles when we come up soaked in the Spirit!

Keep the faith

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment