Sunday, November 22, 2009

Follow me ...

Last Thursday I visited an old friend who is now in hospice care. I had the privilege of joining more than 20 other men who know and love Lloyd. The men were all part of a Bible study that Lloyd taught for many years. The men came to minister to him, but Lloyd remained that faithful minister of grace that he has been for so long. He had a word of encouragement for each and every man there, he shared his hope for a cure, and his confidence that His Lord was waiting to say ... Well done, good and faithful servant.



Lloyd did not forget that it was grace that saved him and that it is grace that leads him home. Each time Lloyd spoke, the words of Scripture were on his lips. When you spent time with Lloyd, it was clear what a radically transformed life really is -- it is filled with grace, love, and peace. Everyone who knew him has the same description -- Lloyd is Jesus' gentle giant.



When I think about Lloyd, I am reminded of the Apostle Paul's advice to the church at Corinth -- Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. (1 Corinthians 11:1) This picture of a boat sailing on Narragansett bay at sunset so perfectly illustrates this -- you will note that there is a small boat being towed by the sailboat, following in its wake. For many, it has been a great blessing to ride along in that little boat following in the wake of this gentle giant.

Two days before the visit our Church Board and Deacons unanimously appointed Lloyd an Honorary Deacon. I am certain that no one has ever deserved the title more -- deacons were first appointed in the Jerusalem church to serve God's people. I don't know anyone who has been a more joyful servant.

Well done, my friend. I'm proud to sail in your wake.

Keep the faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment